Star Wars – Campaign
Beginner Kit – Force and Destiny
Mountaintop Rescue and Lure of the Lost
Running the Game
I ran this from 1st July 2016 to 9th September 2016, over 5 sessions.
- FFG Force and Destiny Beginner Game
- Group: Friday (D&D Week)
- Session 84 to 89 (6 sessions)
- 1st July 2016 to 9th September 2016
- Stuart B – Tarask (5),
- Fiona – Kaveri (4),
- John H – Doa (3),
- Sean W – Doa (3),
- Paul W – Serenda (2),
- Nathan L – Tarask (1) / Belandi (2),
- Ross – Pon (2),
- Paul B – Serenda (2),
- Sue L – Serenda (1)
The pre-gens in the box are:
- Guardian (Human) – Sarenda
- Mystic (Zabrak) – Dao
- Seeker (Togruta) – Kaveri
- Sentinel (Kel Dor) – Tarast
The expanded characters from the website:
- Consular (Mirialan) – Belandi
- Warrior (Nautolan) – Pon
The Force and Destiny Beginner Box introduce melee combat as it main focus, throwing in some force powers and a little with the repercussions of your actions dealing with the Dark Side of the Force. This has a good narrative, but it is not for players who just want to use all the funky force powers.
The characters in the game are only beginning to touch the powers of the force, not the well trained machines we see in Anakin and Obi-One in the movies.
So running this would need to have some expectation maintained for the players, and I recommend using the pre-generated characters to help learn how the mechanics of these rules work. This is a good introduction on what to expect with playing a force user in the time of the Empire.
What does Mountain Top Rescue Introduce
Adventure in the box is “Mountaintop Rescue” which occurs on the planet Spintir. You get to meet the following characters in the adventure (Rival unless specified):
- The Gatekeeper, Echo of a Long-Dead Jedi Master (Holocron)
- Advozse Mercenaries
- Spintiri Icewolves (minions)
- Malefax (nemesis)
What does Lure of the Lost Introduce
A free downloadable adventure “Lure of the Lost” to complete the storyline. It also introduces the Morality mechanic into the beginner game. You get to meet the following characters in the adventure (Rival unless specified):
- The Gatekeepers: The Curator, The Warden and The Jailer
- Frostwall Villager (minion)
- Corrupted Icewold (minion)
- Corrupted Den Mother (nemesis)
- Underworld Operator
- Heavy Gan
- Imperial Patrol Trooper (minion)
- Pinder Ukka, Rebel Agent
- Heder Brant, Ambitious Imperial
- Palace Guard
- Kaina Forrel, Chief of Security (nemesis)
- Rav Naaran, Fallen Jedi (nemesis)
- Crazed Prisoner
It was amusing to note that Edge of the Empire dealt with space flight, Age of Rebellion vehicle combat and Force & Destiny mainly melee combat. Together they make a good mix of storylines and adventure seeds. The next one is set 30 years later…
- 2021-07-29 – Added Adv to title to help sort content.
- 2021-05-09 – Added more content and links.
- 2020-04-27 – Structure and storyline.
- 2019-08-20 – split off other beginner games into their own posts.
Game Management: Annotated Stat Block, Character Creation, Choosing a New Campaign, Creating a Galaxy Map, Ending three year campaign, GM’s Luck Roll, Running Games over Skype, Tracking Experience, 2016 Campaign
References: for Characters, for GMs, Dice, Items (Lightsabers, Modifying, Purchasing, Qualities), Knight Level Play, Mechanics (Awareness, Duty, Morality, Obligation), Movement (Personal, Planetary, Vehicles), Roles (Bounty Hunting, Investigations), Secrets (Empire, Jedi, Rebels, Sith)
The Star Wars Beginner Games: Overall Review, EotE – Escape from Mos Shuuta, This includes: The Long Arm of the Hutt, AoR – Takeover at Whisper Base, This includes: Operation: Shadowpoint, FD – Mountaintop Rescue, This includes: Lure of the Lost, FA – Discovery on Jakku , This includes: A Call for Heroes
The Published Adventures Campaign: Character Creation
(EotE) Edge of the Empire, (AoR) Age of Rebellion, (FD) Force & Destiny, (FA) The Force Awakens
This site is constantly under revision, no blog posts are final as this is a work in progress place for me to develop my game settings and rules. Some posts might be placeholders for future content, so feel free to check back later for updated information.